Saturday, April 18, 2009

Jalepeno Cilantro Hummus

I became a fan of hummus after a friend brought some from Trader Joe's. I had a few critieria for the perfect recipe, the hummus had to be garlicky, have a lot of flavor and spicy. In my search, I came across this one and tweaked it for my taste buds. This has become a family favorite that is made often. It is a fairly easy one to make and has many uses. I love using the hummus in veggie wraps as it adds a lot of flavor and makes the wraps even healthier. We take these on long trips all the time. Even my 14 month old loves the hummus (minus the jalepenos)!
Ingredients:
  • 2 cans gabanzo beans, drained and well-rinsed
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 4 tablespoons lime juice (decrease if you don't like it tart)
  • salt to taste
  • 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 jalapeƱo peppers, seeded/minced (optional)
  • 4 medium cloves garlic (decrease if you don't like a lot of garlic)
Directions:
  1. Place garlic in a food processor and process until minced, about 10 seconds. Add beans, lime juice and salt. Process until it is pureed. With the processor running, slowly add olive oil in a steady stream through the feed tube. Process until mixture thickens, about 1-2 minutes. Add cilantro and jalapeno and process until thoroughly mixed.
  2. Enjoy with pita bread, chips or in a wrap. To make the veggie wrap, spread a generous amount of hummus on a tortilla. Add your favorite veggies (I prefer spinach, onion, bell pepper, green chile, cucumber) and cheese; fold and enjoy! If you want to kick up the heat, add hot sauce on the veggies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't even like hummus till I tried this - it's delicious!