Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Cookies

I am not a baker. This is probably due to my love of salty foods over sweet ones. However, there are a few sweet things I love. Mexican wedding cookies are a favorite that melt in the mouth. They bring back fond memories of growing up in a small town…going to the bakery near the library and treating myself to these cookies. When I started work, I found the cookies at the Culinary School , however, I had to find a recipe to make them myself once I moved. The recipe below is adapted from Cook’s Illustrated/America’s Test Kitchen. The original recipe called for walnuts and pecans. Since I only have walnuts on most days, I use them and it is delicious. I’ve learned from others that you can use almonds as well. If you love chocolate, you can put a piece of chocolate in the middle of the snowball to make a yummy treat.

Mexican Wedding Cookies (aka Russian Tea Cookies)

Ingredients:
  • 2 sticks room temp butter
  • 1/3 cup superfine sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 cups super fine chopped walnuts
  • ½ teaspoon salt
Directions:
  1. Cream together 2 sticks of butter and sugar for 1 ½ min; get divet on bottom; add 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla. Mix together.
  2. Slowly add 2 cups of flour, chopped nuts and salt. Do not overmix but thoroughly mix. Soon as it starts to clump, its done.
  3. Shape into small balls and cook at 325* until the bottom is browned.
  4. Cool in baking sheet for 2 min. Put cookies in a bowl of powdered sugar to coat and remove. Enjoy!

1 comment:

pooja said...

these cookies are AMAZING! (trust me, i have used her recipe time and time again, and everyone loves them!)