Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Ginger Ale

(Yet another recipe from hubby. This one reminds me of a good ginger drink sold in India.)

I was inspired to make home-made Ginger Ale after I saw a recipe on the New York Times website that fit my culinary capabilities - in other words, it was easy. The original recipe called for fresh ginger juice and sugar. Let me first start with their recipe (below).

Ingredients (makes 1 serving):
  • 4 teaspoons fresh ginger juice
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice plus lime wedge, for garnish
  • 1 1/4 cups cold club soda.
Directions:
  1. Stir ginger juice, sugar and lime juice in 16-ounce glass until sugar isdissolved. Add ice and the club soda. Garnish with lime wedge.
Now let tell you my short-cut version. (Yes, I can even shortcut the easy stuff.):
  • Personally, I've found that trying to dissolve sugar in cold water is a royal pain. My wife actually suggested that instead of messing around with making ginger juice and stirring the concoction endlessly till the sugar dissolved, I use the honey ginger crystals I already had at home. They're called Honey Ginger Crystals (http://popus.com/health.html - scroll down to the bottom of the page) and they're available at the local Asian grocery store. Even if they do not stock this exact brand, you should be able to find a very similar product.
  • Dissolve the ginger honey crystals in a bit of warm water, and then add the club soda and lime juice. I also used much less lime juice than the recipe. The end result was refreshingly delicious!

No comments: