- ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs (about 7 graham crackers)
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 heaping teaspoon grated key lime zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons key lime juice
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lime peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin/cupcake pan with liners.
- Crust: In a small bowl, mix together graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and brown sugar. Press crumb mixture into bottoms of prepared baking cups. Bake for 6-7 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add the vanilla extract, key lime zest and juice and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In 5 parts total, alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold the coconut into the cupcake batter.
- Add the batter to the cucpake linters. A spring loaded 1/4 cup ice cream scoop works great for this and ensures the cupcakes are all the same size.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the tops begin to brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer cupcakes to a baking rack to cool completely.
- While cupcakes are baking, beat all the ingredients for the frosting and frost cupcakes once they are completely cool.