Friday, October 30, 2009

Pancakes!

I've been making pancakes since I was a kid...not sure how we got to eating them so much. I started out as a loyal fan of Bisquick. But as I grew older, I wanted to try my hand at making them from scracth (hearing the rave about how they taste so much better that way!). I found this recipe on the side of my unbleached all-purpose flour and have never looked back. I modified it by cutting the salt out (didn't find it necessary, but if you like, add a small amount (<1/2 teaspoon) in. I substitute the sugar for agave if my bananas are not sweet enough. Read the notes for making all sorts of yummy pancakes. This is yet another kid friendly recipe that we have on a weekly basis. Light n' Fluffy Pancakes
(adapted from TJ's Unbleached All Purpose Flour/King Arthur's Unbleached All Purpose Flour)
Yield: 6 pancakes

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups Unbleached all purpose flour
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon sugar (or less or a substitute)
  • 1 1/4 cup warm milk
  • 3 tablespoon melted butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
  • 2 tablespoon ground flaxseed (optional)
Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon (if using), flaxseed (if using). Make a well in the center and pour the milk and melted butter and mix until smooth.
  2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle/pan over medium heat. Pour or scoop the batter using ~1/4 cup (or estimate) for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot!
Notes:
  • Banana walnut pancakes: add one ripe sliced banana and 1/4 cup (or more to taste) chopped walnuts at the end of step 1.
  • Applesauce/blueberry pancakes: add one small carton of applesauce and crushed blueberries to the end of step 1.

No comments: