Pomegranate Tea Cakes with Lime Glaze
Yield: 12 regular cakes with 12 mini cakes (depending on how you fill it)
- 1.5 C all purpose flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C sugar
- 1/2 C unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 lg eggs
- 3/4 C pomegranate juice (divided into 1/2 and 1/4 cup portions)
- 4 tsp grated lime peel (divided into two 2 tsp portions)
- 1/2 C thick yogurt
- 1/4 C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Beat sugar and butter with mixer until well blended. Add one egg at a time, beating well after each one. Beat in 1/2 cup pomegranate juice and 2 tsp lime peel. Mixture may appear curdled. Beat flour mixture in until it is just blended. Stir in yogurt.
- Drop batter into muffin pans. I used an ice cream scoop to fill the muffin pans about 1/2 way. Bake until tester comes out clean. ~25 minutes, possibly longer.
- Let cool for 15 minutes or so. After cooling, use a toothpick to poke small holes into the top of the teacakes to allow the glaze to seep in.
- Sift powdered sugar into medium bowl. Whisk in remaining 1/4 cup pomegranate juice, vanilla, and 2 tsp lime peel.
- You can either remove the cooled teacakes from the pan or leave them in the pan. Pour glaze over each tea cake until top is covered and glaze drips down the sides. (The glaze does it make it sticky so I chose to leave them in the pan to add the glaze.)