From Mark Bittman
Yield 6 to 8 servings
- 1 3/4 cup dried chickpeas
- 2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Scant teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 1 cup chopped parsley or cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Neutral oil, for pan frying
- Put the beans in a large bowl and cover with water by 3 or 4 inches; they will triple in volume. Soak for 24 hours, adding water if needed to keep beans submerged.
- Drain beans well (reserve soaking water) and transfer to a food processor. Add remaining ingredients except oil; pulse until minced but not pureed, scraping sides of bowl down; add soaking water if necessary to allow machine to do its work, but no more than 1 or 2 tablespoons. Keep pulsing until mixture comes together. Taste, adding salt, pepper, cayenne or lemon juice to taste.
- Put small amount of oil in frying pan and heat until fairly hot.
- Shape into small patties. Fry in batches, without crowding, until nicely browned, turning as necessary; total cooking time will be less than 5 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.