Indian Mexican Rice
Adapted from the recipe by Monica Bhide
Makes 4 servings
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (add less if you don't like garlic)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp red chili powder (add more/less to suit your taste)
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans
- 3/4 cup fresh sweet corn kernels
- 1 cup diced red tomatoes
- 1 cup mixed red/yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1/2 tsp salt (add more/less to your taste)
- 2.5 cups water
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add whole cumin. When it turns brown, add the garlic and onions and stir for ~5 minutes until soft. Add rice and cook for a few minutes until rice is coated with oil. This helps the rice absorb more flavor.
- Add the remaining spices and stir. Cook for ~30 seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients, salt and water. Once the water comes to a boil, lower heat and cover and cook until rice is done (~10-12 minutes).
- Optional: If you made your rice mild (to serve multiple palates), add a dash or two of your favorite hot sauce to bring out all the flavors.